Minneapolis Lawyer for Burn Injuries from Explosions
Explosions are some of the most horrific accidents that happen, and they cause life-threatening and traumatic injuries every year. Explosions can happen anywhere, including at home, in the workplace, or in automobiles. And while many explosions result from natural disasters, such as lightning or earthquakes, the majority are caused by human negligence or error.
Among the most devastating types of injuries that a person can suffer in an explosion are burns. The suddenness and intensity of a blast can cause life-threatening burns all over the body, which can require extensive medical treatment and a protracted period of recovery rehabilitation. Debilitating pain and the potential for disability and disfigurement follow these burn injuries. Not only that but recovering from burn injuries can be prohibitively expensive.
If you have suffered from burn injuries in an explosion caused by another party’s negligence, you may be eligible to file a claim for compensation for your losses. The Minneapolis explosion accident lawyers of Robert Wilson & Associates will diligently pursue the compensation you deserve. Call us today at (612) 334-3444 or contact us online for a confidential case review with one of our legal professionals.
Types of Explosions That Cause Burns
Many types of explosions, including mechanical explosions, electrical explosions, and chemical explosions, are capable of causing severe and life-threatening burns to anyone in the proximity of the blast.
These types of explosions can occur for multiple reasons, including:
- Improper maintenance
- Equipment malfunction
- Improper training
- Failure to properly vent gases
- Other forms of negligence
Determining who is at fault for the explosion is crucial to understanding who is liable for the losses associated with your burn injuries. While government agencies and private insurance companies will conduct their own investigations into the nature and causes of the explosion, you must have an experienced personal injury attorney on your side who can also investigate the circumstances on your behalf.
Treatments Required for Burn Injuries
While many burn injuries can be treated at home, the types of burns a person suffers in an explosion tend to be far more severe and often require emergency medical intervention. This is especially true if the burns involve your hands, feet, groin, or face.
Depending on how severe the burn injury is, you may require treatments such as:
- Intravenous (IV) fluids – Severe burns can cause extreme dehydration, which can quickly lead to organ failure. For this reason, people with burns often require the continuous delivery of fluids through a vein.
- Pain relievers – Burns can be incredibly painful, especially as they begin to heal. Because dressing changes can cause exceptionally high pain levels, morphine may often be required during these times.
- Anti-anxiety medication – Pain levels can also generate serious anxiety for many people, so anti-anxiety medications can also be helpful.
- Burn Creams – Medical professionals may apply topical products to the burn to maintain moisture, reduce pain, prevent infection, and accelerate healing.
- Antibiotics – Burns can be particularly susceptible to infections, so antibiotics may be required.
- Tetanus shot – Many doctors recommend a tetanus shot after someone has suffered burn injuries in an explosion.
If your explosion-related burns are particularly severe, you may require one or more of the following procedures:
- Breathing assistance – Burns to the face and neck may cause the throat to swell shut. If a medical professional deems this a likely outcome, they may insert a tube down the patient’s trachea so that oxygen can continue to reach the lungs.
- Tube feeding – Healing from severe burns causes a significant uptick in a person’s metabolism because it requires tremendous energy. To help the body receive the nutrition it requires, the patient may need to have a feeding tube threaded through the nose to the stomach.
- Decompression – Burn scabs can tighten and cut off blood circulation or breathing if they completely surround a limb or the chest. This situation may require a doctor to cut the burn scab in several places to relieve this pressure.
- Skin grafts – This procedure entails taking sections of a person’s healthy skin and using them to replace scar tissue caused by deep burns.
- Plastic surgery – A plastic surgeon may be able to improve the appearance of burn scars and may also work to increase joint flexibility if scarring has impaired it.
Compensation Available for Burn Injuries from Explosion Accidents
The amount of compensation available to you will depend on the circumstances of the accident and the injuries that resulted. In general, those who suffer these types of injuries may be entitled to recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages due to missed time at work
- Projected loss of future earning potential
- Assistive devices
- Costs of childcare or home assistance if you are not able to perform these functions due to your injuries
- Therapy or counseling
- Travel and accommodation costs if you need to travel for treatment
Additionally, many people who have suffered serious burns in an explosion have lasting disabilities and disfigurement. Even though there may not be an inherent dollar amount anyone can assign to the anguish that this may cause, you may still be entitled to receive compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Disability and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
An experienced explosion burn injury lawyer can help you determine the amount you should seek for these non-economic losses.
Contact an Experienced Minneapolis Burn Injury Lawyer
You deserve justice if you have suffered burn injuries in an explosion caused by another party’s negligence. The experienced personal injury attorneys of Robert Wilson & Associates will fight for your interests and rights. We will work to recover the full and fair compensation you deserve so that you have the strongest possible opportunity to move forward with dignity. Call us today at Robert Wilson & Associates or contact us online for a consultation with one of our team members and find out your legal options.