St. Paul Product Liability Lawyers
Designers, manufacturers, and distributors of products have a responsibility to ensure that products created and sold are not dangerous for consumers. Unfortunately, these parties can make crucial errors or cut corners in order to increase profits, rather than making sure the products they’re selling are safe. When products are defective and dangerous, individuals may suffer serious and catastrophic injuries, and the manufacturers and creators of these products can be held liable.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a defective product, you are entitled to receive compensation and damages for your losses. The St. Paul product liability lawyers from Robert Wilson & Associates are dedicated to helping the victims of dangerous products. Contact us at (612) 334-3444 to speak with an attorney about your legal rights.
Why Do I Need a Product Liability Lawyer?
If you were injured by a defective product, you are likely overwhelmed. You may have costly medical bills, lost income from missing work, therapy, and other expenses to deal with. At the same time, you may be in serious pain from your injuries, and under severe stress about how you will handle all of this. Do yourself a favor and hire a lawyer – that way you can focus on your health and your family while your lawyer handles your case.
The legal issues surrounding product liability cases are often complicated. An experienced product liability lawyer can help investigate your situation, do extensive research, and determine who is liable for your losses. If needed, an attorney can negotiate with the responsible parties so that you receive a fair settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, a lawyer will be able to present your case before a jury and fight for you in court.
It is also important to note that product liability claims are subject to a statute of limitations. The statute of limitations in Minnesota is six years from the date of your injury. Though this may seem like a long time, it is crucial to begin your claim as soon as possible before crucial evidence disappears.
Why Choose Robert Wilson & Associates?
The law firm of Robert Wilson & Associates has evolved into one of Minnesota’s largest personal injury law firms. Our dedicated lawyers, paralegals, and law clerks work diligently to accommodate clients, especially in product liability cases. We pride ourselves on our teamwork, which allows many varying perspectives to contribute to a single case, ensuring that no important detail is missed in your case. We are also dedicated to treating our clients like family, offering them personalized service and prompt communication at all times.
For over 25 years, Robert Wilson & Associates has helped victims settle their product liability claims so they can move forward with their lives. Our office is a firm consisting of five attorneys that exclusively focus on representing injured persons. We have won millions of dollars for our past clients, and we are ready to do the same for you.
Product Liability Cases We Handle
The list of defective and malfunctioning products that can cause injury is long, but product liability lawsuits can generally be grouped into three categories:
- Manufacturing Defects: This category includes products that have been manufactured or assembled incorrectly. A product defect occurrs because a mistake was made at the factory or plant where the product was purchased. Manufacturing defects can involve single products or entire batches of products.
- Design Defects: This category involves products that have a dangerous flaw in their actual design. This means that the product will be defective even if it was correctly manufactured in the factory. These cases do not usually involve a single product, but an entire line of products that are on the market, which opens up the possibility of a class-action lawsuit.
- Inadequate Warnings: Manufacturers and retailers are required to warn consumers about any non-obvious danger of the product and provide instructions for how to use it safely. Inadequacies in labels, instruction manuals, and other warnings could result in severe harm to the user.
Defects can affect any product, so if you were injured while using a product, you can file a claim. That said, certain categories of products are more likely to be involved in these lawsuits, including:
- Vehicle parts
- Children’s toys
- Children’s products
- Power tools
- Lawn equipment
- Medical devices
Product liability claims that occur on a large scale to thousands of people are called mass torts, because they include a product that was sold all over the country. When a defective product is the subject of a mass tort, many times the claims are consolidated into a class action lawsuit. These torts may include a voluntary or forced recall on products.
Types of Product Liability Lawsuits
Product liability claims can be brought under three main doctrines:
- Strict Liability: The easiest and most common type of product liability lawsuit is brought under the theory of strict liability. All you have to do under this doctrine is prove that the product contained an unreasonably dangerous defect, that you were using the product as intended when your injury occurred, and that the product was not significantly changed from the time it was first sold. As long as you can prove these elements, you will not need to prove anything about the manufacturer’s actions, which makes your case much easier.
- Negligence: To bring a claim under the theory of negligence, victims must demonstrate in court that the company was careless in the design or manufacture of the product that led to their injuries. They also must show that the manufacturer breached their duty of care to sell a safe product. A breach of duty is established if the injured party reveals that the company knew that the product was defective even when it was put out on the market. Though you may be able to recover more compensation through a negligence lawsuit, they are also much more difficult to prove, because you have to investigate the manufacturer’s actual actions.
- Breach of Warranty: Many products come with warranties that guarantee that they will perform in a certain way or live up to a specific standard. When the product fails to live up to that warranty, you can file a claim for compensation.
Your lawyer will be able to advise you about which doctrine to bring your claim under.
Contact Us Today
Seeking compensation for injuries caused by defective products often involves a complicated legal process, as well as the advice of experts. Since these types of cases are extremely time-consuming, you need a team of experienced lawyers to handle all the details of your product liability case.
At Robert Wilson & Associates, our St. Paul personal injury attorneys are committed to helping innocent victims who have been injured. If you have been harmed by a dangerous or defective product, we will do everything possible to hold the responsible parties liable for their actions. Call our offices at (612) 334-3444 today to find out your legal options.